-->

Saturday, April 21, 2012

It's a Jungle Out There!

I've really enjoyed working on mini albums again. My family loves to look through them and reminisce. When I made this Our Wildlife Adventure mini album I was thinking about a trip to the zoo, (or here in the Pacific Northwest we also have Northwest Trek), but really this could be used for all kinds of adventures - tropical adventures, Africa, Asia, South America ...


This 6" x 6" scrapbook is in the accordion style which makes it great as a display piece (I change mine out frequently depending on the time of year or what's going on with us). Photos can go on both sides - lots of room - and of course, I added pockets and flaps to make it interactive.

* Click on the photos for a better view. *

I glued bits of raffia along the bottom of the left page to simulate dried grass.  Torn strips of paper and rugged burlap ribbon adorn the top of the flap on the right-hand side.  Lots of room inside for both journaling and a photo or two.

The right-hand page here also has burlap ribbon across the top.  I made sure the words 'Nature' and 'Untamed' lifted off the page so your photo can slip underneath them.

This pocket on the left has two tags which pull out for journaling or photos. I distressed the headings 'Journey' and 'Adventure' to give them appearance of aged leather.

The tag on the right is tied with raffia and a decorative brad.    The base is embossed with a really cool, rugged pattern and then I rubbed some walnut ink over the top to make it stand out even more.


I love the way this pocket turned out.  It is a glassine envelope that I stained and scrunched to give it the appearance and texture of worn leather.  It's embellished with pattrned paper and a decorative brad.  Inside is a tag reinforced with a brass eyelet and tied with hemp twine.  The background also has hand-sewn embellishement using the hemp twine.

In total this mini album has 8 pages for photos and journaling.  Get more information on it here in my Etsy shop.

2 comments:

Dana said...

Oh my word Julie. This is amazing. What a treasure. I love the buralp on some pages for texture, the fun raffia grass and that AWESOME aged glassine envelope! Your family is lucky to have you!

Jenny said...

Hi Julie, I love this mini scrapbook..perfect for safari photos...love the natural tones and skin patterns :0)
Thank you so much for your comment on Michele's birthday blog hop...I've edited my post to add a short description of how I made the spotlight and thought I'd let you know because you had asked in your comment :0)
Jenny x