-->

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

12 Tags of 2013 - May

Greetings!

Today I've got my tag for May.  I borrowed Tim's use of bright color and rub-ons from his tag.  It's funny to me how my original ideas morph into something completely different. I knew I wanted to use my new Movers & Shapers dies (mini clock and camera) so was thinking something vacation-ish.  After I added the cityscape to the bottom 9-11 immediately popped into my head.  I remember watching the events unfolding that morning very pregnant with my youngest (he was born 2 weeks later) and wondering what kind of world I was bringing him into.  All that to say, strange how things morph in the process.  Onto the tag...


I started with the same process Tim did - rubbing on a few rub-ons.  Next I swiped some Distress Stain (Broken China, Barn Door, Peeled Paint, Mowed Lawn and Walnut Stain) on my mat and ran my tag through.  It was a little lighter than I liked so I followed that up with some blending of the same colors in the inks.  Misted a bit of water over that.

The cityscape stencil started with a base of Picket Fence DS sponged on with Walnut Stain over that.  The stamped images were stamped with Versafine ink and, thinking it neeed a little something more, I stamped a little more on the background using bubble wrap and Pumice Stone DI.


The clock is layered with a grungeboard base, cardstock that I attempted to patina-ize with Distress Paints (Salty Ocean, Mowed Lawn, Antiqued Bronze and Tarnished Brass).  (I ended up wiping a little Inca Gold graphite over some parts).  Barn Door DP and Tarnished Brass finished off the outside.  The clock face is cardstock that I crinkled and distress with Walnut Stain.  A layer of Crackle Accents with more Walnut Stain DI rubbed over it finished that off.  The agony of waiting for that stuff to dry!  Yowza...


The ribbon is dyed with Pumice Stone DI and Walnut Ink DI.  I was thinking a smoky color for this.

And that's my tag.  Thanks for stopping by!



9 comments:

SandeeNC said...

LOVE your tag and that cityscape stencil is awesome! You did a fabulous job on the May tag! And you're right, the date of 9 -11-01 will live on forever. I think we can all remember where we were when we saw it. waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥.

sally said...

Love your tag, I can fully understand why the cityscape linked this all together- when I see the TH one I always think of 9/11.

Sally

Redanne said...

Hi Julie, it was so interesting hearing how the idea for your tag unfolded. I love the base colours and the bubble wrap stamping and the clock looks amazing with it's coat of many colours. There are days in our lives that we should never forget and this was one of them. Hugs, Anne x

Karin said...

Beautiful tag and that date wil never be forgotten. Groetje Karin

Monika/Buzsy said...

What an awesome tag! Love the background and that clock!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Love the back-story of your tag. It turned out lovely to look at, and has personal meaning - how cool is that?

Handmade in Israel said...

What a great tag. An interesting thought process behind it.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A gorgeous tag, great details.

Unknown said...

Your tag is fabulous! I love the bright red clock with the crackle in it.